This recipe is great as a side dish with chicken or fish.
Chilli Fennel Oil
2tsp red Chilli flakes
½ cup olive oil
1tbsp fennel seeds
Leeks and Fennel
½ large sliced onion
1cup vegetable broth
2 fennel bulbs cut into wedges
4 cloves thinly sliced garlic
1 cleaned leek cut into 1cm slices
2tbsp olive oil
540ml can chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved
3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
Juice of one lemon
2/3 cup tahini
- Make the chile fennel oil by heating the olive oil, chile flakes and fennel seeds in a pan over medium-low heat until the oil starts to sizzle. Reduce heat to low and allow seeds to infuse the oil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200oc and toss leeks, garlic and onion in 1tbsp olive oil. Season and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Melt 1 tbsp each of olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear fennel wedges for 2-3 minutes. Add stock to skillet, bring to a simmer, and braise for 20 minutes until fennel is cooked through. Continue cooking for another 20 minutes until the stock is reduced to a glaze.
- Roast leeks in the oven for 35-40 minutes until crispy and charred.
- Make the hummus by blending together all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adding reserved liquid if necessary.
- Serve by spreading hummus onto plates and topping with fennel, roasted leeks and a general drizzle of chile fennel oil.