This pumpkin soup is super easy to make and very tasty.
2tbsp olive oil
2 large carrots
1/2tsp each fennel seeds and chilli flakes
8 sprigs thyme
1 unpeeled onion
3 unpeeled garlic cloves
500ml vegetable stock
2tbsp crème fraiche
75g softened unsalted butter
Leaves from 3 thyme sprigs
75g finely grated parmesan
1/2tsp crushed fennel seeds
1/2tsp crushed coriander seeds
½ sliced baguette
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut the pumpkin in half and drizzle with one tablespoon of oil before placing cut side down on the tray with the thyme sprigs.
- Place the carrots on foil and sprinkle with chilli flakes and fennel seeds and the last tablespoon of oil. Place on the baking tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and add onion. Wrap the garlic in foil and add to the baking tray, and roast for another 30 minutes.
- Make the croutons by mixing the chilli flakes, fennel and coriander seeds, thyme, butter and parmesan in a bowl. Spread the mixture over the baguette slices and place on a baking tray.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and roast the croutons for eight minutes.
- Make the soup by stripping the leaves from the thyme and placing a large saucepan. Add the scooped-out pumpkin flesh with the carrots. Peel the onion and garlic and add to the pan along with any juices. Combine using a stick blender before adding the stock and one and a half cups of water. Continue to blend until smooth and cook through until warm. Serve with crème fraîche and croutons.