Most New Year’s Resolutions fall by the wayside, but oral health resolutions can be much easier to keep, and even small changes can pay big dividends. When you look after your oral health, you’ll enjoy the confidence of a well-maintained smile, not to mention lower dental bills in the longer term. Also, it doesn’t take very long for new oral habits to become firmly established, so here are our top tips for better oral health this year.
- Brush your teeth gently at least twice a day, using a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- When brushing your teeth, hold your toothbrush at a 45° angle to your gums so you can clean each tooth thoroughly, right down to the gumline.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste to help strengthen your tooth enamel, and after brushing, spit out the excess but don’t rinse. This leaves a thin layer of fluoride ions covering your tooth enamel, giving a little extra protection.
- Don’t get to floss once a day using dental floss or interdental brushes, or another device. We know lots of people find flossing tricky, but we can help you. Our dental team can discuss flossing techniques or alternative flossing methods, helping you find a solution you can use every day.
- Book regular dental checkups and cleanings every six months.